Sunday, October 7, 2012

{HSCRC12} Hymn #13, O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing

Hymn Challenge #13: O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing
Words Written by: Charles Wesley
b. December 18, 1707 d. March 29, 1788

Charles Wesley authored over 6,000 hymns and was born in Lincolnshire County in England on December 18, 1707. He was one of 18 children to Samuel and Susanna Annesley Wesley. His father was an Anglican minister, and his mother was had a great Godly influence on him. Charles was educated at Westminster School and later at Christ Church in Oxford.

Charles became co-founder of the Methodist Church along with his brother John. Charles founded their Holy Club and John became the leader. Charles Wesley had a temper and he had a bad drinking habit. After coming to Christ, he gained victory over both his temper and his drinking. One year after his salvation, he wrote an 18 verse hymn titled "For the Anniversary Day of One's Conversion." Verse 7 began with 'O for a thousand tongues to sing . . .' This is the verse that begins today's hymn. In a lot of hymnals you will just see 5 of the original 18 verses; however, I was able to easily find all 18 verses on the web. You can click here to read through them all. Also, if you would like an in-depth read on Charles Wesley, please click here to read an article reprinted from the "Texas Sacred Harp Newsletter."

As I shared my "Scripture {Tag}" the other day, I realized that we have not studied this hymn yet. It is a wonderful hymn and one that Charles Wesley recommended people sing on the anniversary of their conversion. Today I wanted to break this hymn down verse by verse.

Verse 1
O for a thousand tongues to sing 
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King, 
The triumphs of His grace!

Charles Wesley once was heard saying "Had I a thousand tongues, I would praise Him with them all." How often in a day do you praise our precious Father?

Psalm 35:28 "My tongue will speak of Your righteousness and of Your praises all day long."

Psalm 66:1-2 "Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of His name; make His praise glorious!"

Psalm 119:172 "May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous."

Verse 2
My gracious Master and my God, 
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad 
The honors of Thy name.

We have been given the freedom to speak boldly about Jesus Christ. Are you sharing the Good News with others and proclaiming His salvation day after day? How often are you answering questions about Jesus? God uses ordinary people to share His Good News of salvation!

Psalm 29:2 "Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness."

Psalm 72:19 "Praise be to His glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with His glory. Amen and Amen."

Psalm 96:2-3 "Sing to the Lord, praise His name; proclaim His salvation day after day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples."

Luke 4:18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."

Verse 3
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, 
That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears, 
’Tis life, and health, and peace.

Jesus paid the price for our sins by His death on the cross, and we now have peace with God and have a direct relationship with Him. Are you confessing your daily sin, and how do you maintain that daily relationship with your precious Father? Are you reading His word daily? Are you seeking Him in all things?

Psalm 34:4 "I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears."

Romans 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"

Verse 4
He breaks the power of canceled sin, 
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean, 
His blood availed for me.

Jesus' sacrifice is for all for all time! He has paid the price already. We can run to Him for our salvation and our daily sin. He wants to cleanse us and draw us closer to Him each day so He can use us. He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world! How are you allowing Him to use you?

John 1:29 "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'"

John 20:31 "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name."

Romans 6:14 "For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace."

1 Peter 1:18-19 "For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect."

1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin."

Verse 5
Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb, 
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come, 
And leap, ye lame, for joy.

Scripture holds evidence to changed lives in Christ. What changes and evidence of Christ do you see in your own life? How do others see those changes in you? How will you leap for joy today thanking Christ for His sacrifice for you?

Matthew 11:5 "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor."


Luke 19:37 "When He came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen."

Acts 3:8 "He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God."

Below you will find the sheet music to "O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing. Also, be sure to check out the link I have below for you today.


You can listen to this beautiful hymn here. I am not sure who is singing the hymn but it is certainly a beautiful men's choir.

For my 6x6 page today, I chose Psalm 35:28 quoted above under Verse 1. I thought it was so perfect for the hymn and a reminder for myself. I also used two of Tim Holtz's embellishments that worked great for this page--the alpha card with the number 1 reminding me that He should always be first in my life, and then I used the tiny chit chat stickers to create the phrase "all about Him." It is another reminder for me to remember daily that it's all about Him not me! The flowers are from Wild Orchid Crafts, and I am using their "Anything Goes" challenge.


Pin It


Papers: Jillibean Homemade 6 Bean Soup, Simple Stories Summer Fresh
Stamp Ink: Tim Holtz walnut stain
Embellishments: Prima Paloma flowers, flowers and leaves from Wild Orchid Crafts, Tim Holtz Chit Chat stickers, Tim Holtz alpha cards, burlap from Save-on-Crafts, sewing machine


Remember to use Keyword HSCRC12 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Blessings to each of you!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! Thank you, Patter! I love this hymn. --Jennifer in Ohio

Jonia said...

What a great song and one I remembered and even knew the tune before I saw it,s music. Beautiful write up Patter and beautiful page.

Pop's Cards said...

Hi sweetie this is so gorgeous, perfect sweetie, thank you for joining us at Wild Orchid Craft's this week huggles Pops x x x

A-M said...

What a great hymn to share. This one always reminds me of a friend of my husband's and we often sang it in a Church we used to worship with.
Your artwork is lovely and I do like the deep red flower you have used.

Related Posts with Thumbnails