Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday's {Tip} Stick Pins

I don't know about you but I love the look of stick pins on cards and layouts. I have hesitated to use them, however, because of the sharp ends. I have seen some really nice smooth pieces you can put on the ends but I have never been able to find them. Not knowing what they are called probably has something to do with my problem in locating them. LOL!

Well, a few weeks ago while I was in Michael's I saw some really nice clear, silicone earring backs. I thought "Ooh, these might work on my stick pins." So, I bought a package of them along with the regular silver earring backs. I thought sometimes the silver might look nice. I came home, tried them out, and guess what? They work beautifully! I am so excited to have found something to cover the sharp end!! Yeah! Here is a close-up of a card I did a few weeks ago. Can you see the clear, silicone covers?
And I just store them with the silver earring backs in a baby food jar which is then kept in my antique spice unit along with my pins. It works beautifully!
So, next time you are in Michael's pick up some pins and some earring backs, and you will be ready to go!! I hope this has been helpful! Blessings,
Photobucket

8 comments:

Nancy said...

What a fantastic idea! I just put about 50 of these pins together...I have a picture of them up on my blog! I found it rather addicting!lol I'll look for some of these at Michael's. Thanks for the great tip Patter!...Nancy :o)

Nancy said...

Hi Patter! I thought I'd just send you a note this way and then you don't have to post it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I bought my corsage pins a Wal-Mart but the rest of the beads were actually all from my stash. I've made lots of jewelry over the years so I have lots of beads on hand. So I just put on the ones I want and when I'm happy with it I use a drop of Glossy accents to secure them. I find it's only needed on the bottom bead. I have a piece of packaging that a poke them all into upsidedown until they're dry. It's SO MUCH fun!...Nancy :o)

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Thank you so much for the tip! I don't have a Michael's close to me, but going to look at Hobby Lobby.

I didn't like the poke-y ends either, so I've been cutting them off with wire cutters for a dull end.

Traci S. said...

Hi Patter~

I just returned from a 17 day car trip with my husband. We visited family all up and down the east coast!

I was so glad to sit down with my lap top today and read your blog. (We didn't have internet access in many of the stops! Yikes!) I have wanted to make stick pins for cards for quite a while. Now that I know where to get the ends for the bottoms. Will you please tell me what the pins are actually called, and where you get them? I don't want to just walk up to a store and say, "Do you sell pins?"

I hope that you will soon have time to answer my email about the He IS Able blog. I look forward to hearing from you. I know you are very busy. I hope the family is doing really well. Let me know what is going on. Miss you!

Remember~
He IS Able,
Traci S.

June K said...

I designed some cards where I used stick pins in the bow but put the ends under some matting so that it would not poke whoever receives my card. Now I can go look for these and use stick pins without putting under the matting. Thanks for sharing.

**June**

Rose said...

what a fantastic idea!! thanks for sharing :)

Linda said...

What a wonderful idea, thanks so much for sharing this, Patter. I will definitely with have to stock up on them on my next trip to Michaels. Have a blessed day!

Chrissy said...

Hi Patter! This is SUCH a great tip I love it...I have actually never used pins for this very reason and now I feel inspired to do so! I hope all is well....in case you don't remember I am Chrissy from CM DT. You are so talented girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails