Monday, November 25, 2013

A {Coupon} Binder

Hubby was traveling a few weeks ago so my daughter and I decided to watch the show called "Extreme Couponing." Have you seen it? It was the first time I have ever watched it. While it was a bit "extreme" for me, it also renewed my interest in couponing again. I used to do it years ago but got so busy with the kids that I did not feel the effort was worth my time. Well, after watching the show, I realized that I will search for online coupons every time I shop online. Why am I not using coupons when I go to the grocery store and other places? So, I decided to start couponing again but with some changes to my system from years and years ago. Let's look at what I am doing.

The Binder
First, I used a Simple Stories binder that I had in my studio. It is perfect. The large binders that people seem to use on the show are just too large for me. I am not couponing to that extent anyway. And the little "wallet style" coupon book I used years ago didn't work too well either. So, I think this new binder will be perfect. I can keep individual coupons in the Simple Stories Sn@p! Pocket Pages and easily see what I have and when coupons expire. It's also small enough to carry into the store. Isn't it pretty?
Pin It
To decorate it, I used copies of my scanned art journaling pages. It was easy to print them out onto Neenah Bright White Cardstock, ink the edges, and then adhere to the front of my binder. I also used scanned art journaling pages for the dividers too. It was quick to do yet makes it look like I spent much more time on the binder than I did. Sneaky huh? :)

For the decorative piece, I used the Blue Fern Studios Blooming Foliage chipboard. I covered it in gesso and then painted it with Shimmerz crushed coral Texturez and spritzed with Lindy's Stamp Gang Frenchy's Pink Pouf.

The alphabet I used throughout the binder is the Memory Box Large Typewriter set.

The System
As you open the binder, there is a table of contents. I have each section numbered and in alphabetical order. I labeled each divider with the corresponding number. I did it that way so it will be easy to move things if I add new dividers and sections. I also have my address and phone number on this page just in case my binder is lost. Oh I pray not because I am rather fond of it now. :)


Behind the table of contents, I have an empty 6x8 pocket page. I use that to hold the coupons I will use. It will be easy to take them out of that page pocket when I get to the check out.

Then the binder starts with the divided sections by number. Here you can see a couple of my sections.

Papers: Art journaling papers by Patter Cross
Simple Stories products: 6x8 Sn@p! binder, 6x8 page protectors, 3x4 divided page protectors, 3x4/4x6 divided page protectors
Blue Fern Studios chipboard: Blooming Foliage (painted with Shimmerz crushed coral Texturez and Lindy's Stamp Gang Frenchy's Pink Pouf)
Stamp Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink black soot
Embellishments: Memory Box large typewriter alpha and number die sets


Now I am only cutting coupons I know I will use. I am very picky about brands I use, etc., so this binder should not get too large but it will also help me save a little money much more easily now. I also read on a website to spend just 15 minutes a week going through your book to make sure you have removed the expired coupons. It only took me about 20 minutes to go through yesterday's ads from the paper and cut out the coupons we use. Now, I can do that! How about you?

I am using three different styles of the Simple Stories page pockets.
  • 6"x8" page protectors
  • 3"x4" divided page protectors
  • 3"x4"/4"x6" divided page protectors
These all seem to hold my various coupons just perfectly. I hope that this has been helpful. So grab a Simple Stories album and page pockets and begin couponing with me! Have a blessed week!

4 comments:

Lizzyc said...

This looks awesome, very pretty and oh so practical too!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Great idea Patter, why not have a lovely coupon binder. My daughter is the "extreme" couponer in our family. I've recently started learning the tricks of the trade from her. I've shared your idea with her. ~ Abby

D's Paper Studio said...

Wow! This art my friend.

Unknown said...

Oh my Patter, this is gorgeous!! Love love love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails