Sunday, November 4, 2012

{HSCRC12} Hymn #15, Though Troubles Assail Us

Note: I was SO excited to meet some of you yesterday that have participated in these challenges. God truly blessed me as I met and spoke with each of you after my class! Thank you for blessing me so!

Hymn Challenge #15: Though Troubles Assail Us
Written by: John Newton
b. July 24, 1725; d. December 21, 1807

We studied John Newton back in our very first hymn of this year, Amazing Grace. Click here to see that study. John Newton also wrote this amazing hymn, and I chose it because of Hurricane Sandy that hit the East coast of the United States. I actually had another hymn chosen but felt this might be more appropriate for what is happening to so many of you right now.

You may know this hymn by the title of "The Lord Will Provide." There is another hymn also by that title but it is written by Martha A. Cook. The hymn we are talking about today is the one written by John Newton. I hope that may clear up some confusion for some of you that may know both hymns or know this one by a different title. Let's look at the words to this hymn:

Verse 1
Though troubles assail us and dangers affright,
Though friends should all fail us and foes all unite,
Yet one thing secures us, whatever betide,
The promise assures us, “The Lord will provide.”

Philippians 4:19 "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

God will meet our needs; we can trust that. However, we must realize our wants are different from true needs. Will you trust Him with your needs and His provision for you?

Verse 2
The birds, without garner or storehouse, are fed;
From them let us learn to trust God for our bread.
His saints what is fitting shall ne’er be denied
So long as ’tis written, “The Lord will provide.”

Genesis 22:8 "Abraham answered, 'God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.' And the two of them went on together."

Psalm 28:7The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped.

Psalm 52:8I trust in God’s unfailing love forever and ever.

Verse 3
When Satan assails us to stop up our path,
And courage all fails us, we triumph by faith.
He cannot take from us, though oft he has tried,
This heart cheering promise, “The Lord will provide.”

Romans 8:32 "He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all—how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?

Verse 4
No strength of our own and no goodness we claim;
Yet, since we have known of the Savior’s great Name,
In this our strong tower for safety we hide:
The Lord is our power, “The Lord will provide.”

Psalm 61:3 "For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe."

Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."

Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

God never loses His power. You can always trust Him; He is faithful. Where is it that you feel safe and secure?

Verse 5
When life sinks apace, and death is in view,
The word of His grace shall comfort us through,
Not fearing or doubting, with Christ on our side,
We hope to die shouting, “The Lord will provide.”

Psalm 23:6 "Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

How does this hymn help us? What did you see in the verses and scriptures that you need today or in the days and weeks again? What trouble or troubles are you facing? Were you caught in the middle of Hurricane Sandy? Are you now experiencing the aftermath of the storm? Or maybe you are in the midst of another personal difficulty. God will provide. He will be there to hold you up amidst the storm. He is trustworthy. He is the great Promise Keeper and always keeps His promises.

He promised Noah in Genesis 9:8-17 that the rainbow would be a sign that He would never flood the entire earth again. And to this day, He has kept that beautiful promise. And you can trust that His Word is true. The verses you read above are true and applicable to you! His words are for you; He loves you!

Did you see the photos this week of the double rainbow over New York after Hurricane Sandy? If you didn't, do a google image search on "rainbow over ny after sandy." What a comfort that God would remind Himself and His people of His covenant not to flood the earth again. Who doesn't pause when they see a rainbow? What a visual reminder of God and His promise to us that He will never completely flood the earth again. Not only will He not flood the entire earth again, but He is with us and gives us strength through the storm. How are you leaning on Him and allowing Him to carry your burdens? Or is there someone you know that needs to hear of His love and care for them? How can you share Him with them?  I pray these scriptures and this hymn are helpful to each of you as you travel through the storm or help someone else through the storm.

I had a lot of trouble finding this hymn for you to listen but I did find one. I also could not find any sheet music. After having so much trouble, I at least hope that this is familiar to some of you. Click here to listen to this hymn.


For my 6x6 page today, I used the amazing Memory Box boysenberry paper. The color is so very rich, and it just reminds me how Jesus is King! He is in control! I really wanted the focus of this page to be this majestic color. I also found that the Adirondack Color Wash wild plum matches the boysenberry paper perfectly. I spritzed a bit of it on the page for fun. For the hymn, I printed it out on a paper bag and crumpled it up. I then cut the writer's information out and added it as a tag.  The verses I used were Philippians 4:19 and Proverbs 18:10 from above.

Pin It


Papers: Memory Box boysenberry and dill cs, Paper Trey Ink white cs
Embellishments: Poppystamps meadow leaf die, Poppystamps Lorelai Leaf die, Memory Box white pearl, Project Life cobalt journaling card, The Crafter's Workshop mini hexagons template, Adirondack Color Wash wild plum, Prima Flaxence Oasis flower, misc. ticket, sewing machine

Remember to use Keyword HSCRC12 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Blessings to each of you!
Photobucket

4 comments:

TLady said...

BEAUTIFUL PATTER!!!!!! AND YES! I DID see the Rainbow over NY!!!!!!! WHAT A BLESSING!!!!!!!!!! GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Meg said...

What a blessing to find your blog. Since losing my job a couple weeks ago, I am trusting God for His provision even more these days. Praise Him that He gives us so many scriptures to encourage us during rough times.
Thank you for this particular blog entry.

Anne-Marie said...

Whenever I see a rainbow I often say to myself... Thankyou God for keeping your promises.
I have sung this hymn in the past but had not realised it was written by John Newton.

I do like your page - the deep purple looks so nice.

Susan M said...

A really beautiful page Patter. The flower and leaf dies are so pretty and that colour scheme is beautiful!Sorry I haven't been able to participate in the challenges for a while but my family and I have moved too,we have come back to uk for a while and my craft things have been on an extended sea voyage of their own!Also was without internet until recently. Hopefully I can begin catching up soon,have really missed joining in !Hope you and your family have settled well in your beautiful new home! Susan M

Related Posts with Thumbnails