Friday, November 9, 2007

Organizational {Friday}

It seems there are SO many magazine calls, contest, etc. going on lately, and a lot of these calls and contests ask for supply lists. So, I thought today we would look at one way to keep track of the supplies you use on your layouts and altered items.

I use Microsoft Excel for everything. I love that program. I have been using it for about 18 years now. Okay, that is embarrassing. Anyway, to keep track of the supplies I use on my layouts and altered items, I have created an Excel file. Here is a sample entry:

Title: Passion
Size: 9x9
Completed: Oct. 20, 2007
Papers: Bazzill, My Mind's Eye Kaleidoscope Parade
Stamp Ink: Versa Color black
Font: Quickutz metro
Embellishments: My Mind's Eye Confetti Parade KaleidoCut flower, My Mind's Eye Bohemia Boulevard twill ribbon, Maya Road chipboard arrow, Basic Grey rub-on, Doodlebug buttons, misc. ribbon
Journaling: "Caitie, you love sports. You love being the tomboy of the family. You love your long bike rides with Daddy. But here you are trying on your new bike gear unable to do anything. Your devastating head injury won't allow you to ride, play, or enjoy! But remember, God has the perfect plan. Let Him be your passion." "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5 NIV
Designed for: For ACBailey Designs

Each cell contains the information listed above. Then when I want to submit to a magazine, it is very easy for me to copy and paste the information into my submission e-mail. Also, after my LO has been scanned or photographed, I put a copy of the picture next to the supply list in my Excel file. It has worked so well for me. And if I ever forget what I used on a page, I always have this file to reference. I have also created separate sheets in the Excel file so I can file my LOs, card, etc. alphabetically by title and find them easily. This file can become quite large over the years so filing them this way is really helpful. I update this file as soon as I finish a LO, card, etc. Then I clean up, put my supplies away, and get ready for the next fun thing! You could also create this same kind of file in Microsoft Word; however, you would not be able to alphabetize them as easily as using separate sheets in Excel. Just a note I thought I would mention.

Next week, I will post how I keep track of my submissions and articles I write. And in a future edition of Organizational {Friday}, we will look at setting scrappy goals for the New Year. So, be thinking about that! Happy Scrappy Friday everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Excel too - did you design the spreadsheet or use a premade and alter it?

Patter Cross said...

Tina, I designed my own spreadsheet but it is nothing fancy. I didn't see the need to use a premade template. Hope that helps. :)

Anonymous said...

I usually just use Notepad to collect my info, but Excel has got to be a better choice, since I can sort and alphabetize, and search all in one document. Great idea!

luv2stamp said...

Patter, I love this idea. I try to hand out a list to my club members of which supplies we use in my monthly stamp clubs; this would be an excellent way to start tracking that as well! THANKS!

jillconyers said...

I designed a "form" I complete. Just fill in the blanks...quick and easy so i actually use it.

Kory said...

This is a FABULOUS idea! I need to do this because when my layouts get picked up for publication, I always have a heck of a time remembering what products I used!

Related Posts with Thumbnails