Sunday, May 4, 2008

Scripture Challenge {Week 18}

As I sat down to look at the word we would use this week, God led me to the word “fruit.” Then as I was reading a devotional, there was a quote from First Lady Barbara Bush. The quote said “At the end of your life, you’ll never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret times not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.” I immediately welled up with tears because my husband and I have been trying to decide if we should homeschool our girls in the Fall. There are many factors involved but this just confirmed to me that homeschooling them is the right choice for us. It’s a scary new adventure but one that I will cherish, and only God knows the amazing fruit that will come from it.

Week 18 Challenge Word: Fruit

What is fruit? I know you all know we are not talking about bananas, apples, and grapes. We are talking about God’s nature exhibited in us. Genuine faith bears fruit. It is an expectation for believers. John 15:5 says “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” Max Lucado states that the fruit of the Spirit is “the result of His ministry in our hearts.” As we grow in Christ, we will produce more fruit. No matter where we are planted or what our upbringing was, we can bear fruit through prayer, Bible study, and sharing the gospel. Pruning (trials) is also necessary for our growth so that we can bear more fruit for His glory! Do you share Christ? Do you apply Biblical truths to your everyday life? Where is the fruit in your life? How is God pruning you to bear more fruit? Do others see the fruit of God in you? Are you giving out sweet, healthy fruit to others?

I chose to use the John 15:5 verse I quoted above on my card. I also used Matthew 7:15 which says “By their fruit you will recognize them.” There, of course, were several others I wanted to use too but they will stay in my precious journal. For my card, I was able to use the amazing Blueberry Smoothie kit from Create My Keepsake. There were some amazing colors in this kit but of course I had to use the pink first.
I pray that you will look at this word this week and look for those chances to bear fruit for Him. And remember to join us at Create My Keepsake, Scrapjazz, The Scrapping Spot, or Faith Sisters for discussion and links to everyone's amazing work! Have a joyful and fruit-filled week.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the challenge! I find them so helpful in making sure I have time in the word each week. Thank you for that.

I think it's exciting that you're going to be homeschooling! We're doing the same - just put our feet in a little this year (our oldest is only 5) and plan on doing phonics and some easy unit studies next year. I agree that it's scary though... but is God good and will bless your efforts.

Sarah M

Stephanie said...

Beautiful, beautiful card!! Love the colors!

Patter, I've been praying that the Lord would give you & your dh wisdom to know whether homeschooling was right for your family. I am on the other end of the homeschooling journey since our youngest will graduate this spring. Hard to believe our 16 yrs. of homeschooling are over -- exciting & sad. I remember the scary but excited feelings of those early days. You'll do great and the Lord will give you the grace & wisdom you need for each new day/situation. I'm excited for you.

Anonymous said...

Patter, another wonderful word to study. I can't wait. Beautfiful card also! My favorite color is pink too :). That is great that you and your husband agreed to homeschool your children. That is something that I have thought about as well. Nice to be in contact with others who feel the same way. Take care and I will be praying for you and your family.
~Chelsea

Georgina said...

What a great word this week and inspiring too. I love learning something new everyweek, thanks Patter.

Blessed Ladybug said...

Just wanted to say .. Thank you .. i'm really enjoying this Challenge.. In my opionion it bring me close to me. GOD and give me scraiptures that i can study and get to know.... otherthanks the ones that i've know as a child.. thanks you and GOD has realy blessed you to continue a wonderful challenge as this.... I know you have touched so many hearts... thanks....

Nevis said...

Great looking LO!

saffiertje said...

Great word again this week. I will make a selection of all the great scriptures. Cause I díd not know the Bible has so much great scriptures with thi theme....

Anonymous said...

Love this patter! I really need to get going on my journal again!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful word... going to have fun with this one. Thanks for the inspiration... also thanks for the book I am enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

I just finished up week 4,5 and 6... I am behind, but slowly getting caught up! They are so fun and I am loving watching my ATC fill up. :) You can see them on my blog at http://hapemome.blogspot.com
~Chelsea

Jennifer Hope Longenecker said...

Hi Patter! Are you familure with the arte y pico award? Well I just received it and would like to pass it on to you. Could you please check out my blog at

http://jenniferlongenecker.blogspot.com/

for more information on this award.

Anonymous said...

I homeschooled for 10 years. My youngest daughter is now a senior in college. I am SO very thankful I spent that time with my children and I will never regret it. If I had worked instead, I might have had a nicer home and new furniture and pretty clothes, but I would not have had 10 years of memories. I cannot express how grateful I am now for that time with them. Homeschooling is not an easy task, but it is probably the most important job you will ever have! Your children are the most precious gifts you will ever receive from God.

Related Posts with Thumbnails