Sunday, July 6, 2008

Scripture Challenge {Week 27}

This week I was working on a schedule for our family so that when we begin homeschooling in August, we will be prepared. Well, I had purchased a book on scheduling and have been reading it. This week was the week to create and implement the schedule. Well, I started on Monday, and I must say I was so exhausted and stressed that I knew this was not going to work. So, on Tuesday, I tweaked the schedule a bit and tried again. Well, part of this new schedule has me doing Bible study at 10 a.m. everyday. When I sat down to do my study on Tuesday, I actually began laughing. I was reading a devotion that basically said God does not want us working from sun up to sun down without a bit of rest. We are not to work ourselves silly which is what I did on Monday. Well, I laughed when I read that because I felt like God was clearly telling me that I needed to add some rest time to this new schedule. So, I did, and my week has been amazing. I have accomplished more and had great rest times. So, can you guess our word after my learning experience this week? You guessed it! Rest!

Week 27 Challenge Word: Rest

Now, we are not going to discuss the Sabbath rest that God commands. We will do that another week. We are going to discuss the daily rest we all need to do God’s work effectively. God rested and so should we. We need to give ourselves permission to rest and play each day.

Webster’s defines rest as “refreshing ease or inactivity after work or exertion; a period or occasion of inactivity; relief from anything tiring.”

Are you empty and exhausted because of the daily demands asked of you? You try to rest but then someone or something demands your attention. Stress is all around us and it compounds itself daily. We need to be able to give ourselves permission to rest. I think as mothers, we have a terrible time doing that! Jesus worked tirelessly yet He would still find a solitary place to rest and pray to His Father. (Mark 1:29-35) Ask the Lord to help you carry the load. He will, and He will give you rest.

A devotion by Diane Head talks about moms and our schedules as the “great carpool of life.” Does that describe you? She goes on to say that “Today’s mother’s need rest. Rest for the soul is the most desirable rest. It affects not only our spiritual health but our emotional and physical health as well. The only way to receive this rest is to sit at Christ’s feet and hear His word, to take the time to learn more about who He is and what He is like.” Are you taking that time? Change your daily schedule to include rest and time with the Lord. Make a list of how you rested this past week. Is your list short or empty? Ask God what you can change to include some rest so that you are more able to care for the needs of others and do His work effectively.

For my card this week, I used the very fun Create My Keepsake July kit. This October Afternoon journaling card was perfect for this week’s word. The two verses I chose were:

Psalm 62:1My soul finds rest in God alone . . ."
Hebrews 4:10for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from His.”

I pray that you are able to look at each day with a new appreciation for truly resting in the Lord. Please join us at Create My Keepsake, The Scrapping Spot, Scrapjazz, and Faith Sisters for discussions and links to your cards and pages. Enjoy, and see you next week! Blessings,

3 comments:

Ally's Corner said...

I love how you put Monday- Sunday on your card.
Rest is one thing I asked for this week.

Gina Lindsay said...

I really need to read that this week. What an inspiration today, thank you. Love your blog!
Gina

Unknown said...

amazing!!!
soooo true, especially as mothers!
loved it

Related Posts with Thumbnails