Sunday, February 14, 2010

{Scripture Challenge 2} Challenge Word #4, Home

Happy Valentines Day, and welcome to our 4th challenge! I had another word picked out for this week but after preparing an expository lecture that I delivered last Tuesday night on John 13:31-14:14 and then hearing about the loss of a high school friend on Sunday, the loss of a young stampers husband Monday, and my uncle going into hospice care on Friday, I really felt God wanted us to look at the word “home.”

Challenge Word #4: Home

Do you ever travel on business or take an extended trip away from home? How much do you miss your home when you are gone? My husband travels to China, India, Taiwan, Ireland, and other places many times a year. One of the things he always says when he is gone is “I can’t wait to get home to see you and the girls.” Do you truly miss your home when you are gone? How do you feel when you get back? Ingrid Trobisch said “If there is such joy when we return to our earthly homes, imagine the joy of our reaching our heavenly home!

Well, in John 14:1-4, Jesus says “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”

Jesus calms the hearts of the disciples as He tells them He is leaving, and we can be calmed by it also. He is going to prepare a permanent home for them in His Father’s house—Heaven. He is also coming back for us. What a great comfort! According to scripture, Heaven is a place God dwells, and Jesus sits at the right-hand of the Father. It is described as a kingdom (2 Peter 1:11), an inheritance (1 Peter 1:4), a city and a country (Hebrews 11:16), and a home (John 14:2). I encourage you to look up those scriptures.

Heaven is a home for God’s children. The KJV calls it “a house with many mansions.” He is preparing that home for me and for those of you that believe in Him. How reassuring it is to know that I have a permanent home in Heaven with Jesus! It is a place reserved and made especially for me and for you as a believer. No one else can take it and Satan cannot follow. It is permanent! It is an exclusive place for those who have trusted in Jesus. Wouldn’t you like to know that you have a permanent home? And if you don’t have a place reserved in His permanent home will you make that choice to believe and trust in Him today?

After hearing about these unexpected tragedies this week and finding out my uncle has entered hospice care, I wanted to tell you that one of the most amazing gifts you can give your family is the assurance of your salvation. If you haven’t told them your salvation story and how you came to Christ, and that you know you will be at home with Jesus in Heaven when you die, will you do that this week? That is one of the greatest gifts you can give your family! Let them how they can find you after you die. That is a comfort and a gift that is immeasurable. If you don’t know a family member’s salvation story, ask them! And if they don’t know Christ, that is the perfect opportunity to share.

Most of us fear the unknown, and as Max Lucado says “death is the great unknown.” Jesus tells us in John 14:1 to “Trust in God; trust also in me.” We shouldn’t fear life at home with Him in Heaven. The best is yet to come. Does your family know that? Do they know where to find you?

For my page this week, I used lots of pearls and Stickles as I thought of how beautiful I image Heaven to be. I also included a crown from the Layers of Color Granny's Jewelry stamp set as I thought about going home to His Kingdom. The photo corners around the scripture are from the Layers of Color Touch of Elegance set. I added Stickles to the photo corners too to add even more sparkle. Papers: Memory Box Spearmint, Cut Cardstock aquamarine metallic, KI Memories Flower Child die cut paper
Stamps: Layers of Color Touch of Elegance (photo corners), Layers of Color Granny's Jewelry (crown)
Stamp Ink: SU bashful blue and close to cocoa, Ranger clear EP, VersaMark
Embellishments: My Mind's Eye button, KaiserCraft pearls, Thickers darling, Stickles platinum, Bazzill blossom, Spellbinder Nestabilities Labels 4


The scripture I used was:
2 Peter 3:13 “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.”

And just a note about your study this week. If you use Biblegateway, some words you might search on include:
*Home
*House
*Heaven
*Father's House

Some of these searches will yield MANY verses. You can limit your search to a certain book of the Bible too if that helps you.

Remember to use Keyword SCRC210 when posting in galleries. It will be easier for people to find your work if you use our keyword. Also, feel free to leave a link here for others to see using Mister Linky. I hope you all are looking at everyone's pages. There truly are some amazing creations, verses, and journaling! You don't want to miss out. Enjoy the time you spend in His Word. Blessings,



Photobucket

14 comments:

Kristine said...

Patter, your page is just beautiful!! I love all the jewels and especially the crown. You said things so well here Patter. I too have lost quite a few family members and husband's friends and hearing of our young blogging friend's passing is heart breaking. But it IS very comforting to know that we will be with them again in Heaven. Unfortunately sometimes people wait until they are on their death bed before they are open to someone talking with them about God.. as was with a couple of my uncles, but they did finally accept the Lord as their Savior. I hope we all step out of our "comfort zones" to make that contact and start that ever-so-important conversation with our loved ones. Thank you Patter! :)

Pattyjo said...

Your blog is very incouraging to many. My father passed away in May. He was a type of Archie Bunker. I was with him on one particular day and he was wide awake, alert and easy to talk with. God just put the words in my mouth, out they came and my fear disappeared. My father accepted Christ into his heart and life that day. He passed away about two months later. How glad I am I responded to the Lord that day. I was with my father and mother on the day he drew his last breath. Just before he died (he was on heavy morphin drip) totally out of it...but his eyes were opened and he was looking straight up at the ceiling, without talking, a tear came down each cheek and he closed his eyes for the last time. I knew he was looking right into Heaven at the point.
Pattyjo

Anne-Marie said...

Thankyou Patter for the blessing that you are with all that you have shared in this current challenge. It made me think about that verse of Where our treasure is there our heart will be... so store up your treasures in Heaven. Heaven is our home and I need to be storing up more treasure there than what I have been doing.
Your art is beautiful and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring message today! Your page is beautiful and I love the scripture you chose.

Amy Pitts said...

What a beatuful page. I am sorry you are dealing with so many heavy burdens in your heart. It is such a nice reminder that we have a home waiting for us when it is our time. I am looking forward to diving into this study.

Teen Queen said...

Thank you for your inspiration and encouragement. Your designs are great! And the sharing among other crafters is priceless. I have been reading your blog since December 2009...and I just got it...Eureka! TRIPLE the scraps perhaps because of your triplets...or the maybe the TRINITY inspired the name...still a great name for a blog. PEACE to you.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing again Patter! Such a great word for me! But SO hard to narrow it down!! lol This challenge is such a great way to get into the word and play in this great new world of papercrafting that I've recently discovered! I'm having SO MUCH FUN GROWING & LEARNING!! It's so exciting!! :o)

Nancy said...

I forgot to add my name completely that time!lol Nickelnook is Nancy on the list. I always try to sign as Nancy to keep it straight but I didn't want to delete my message like last time when I spelled Nancy wrong. So instead I write this long rambling message with run-on sentences and look even sillier! haha It's just me :o)

Jonia said...

Patter I am enjoying this so much! I am not sure I always like the look of my pages, but I know it is helping me a lot and one day, I hope to leave to my grandchildren. May God bless you!

America said...

Patter, thank you for your beautiful posts/scripture sharing. It certainly helps me to put things into perspective! :) I Love the pearl placements on your lovely card!!!

Jennifer McGregor said...

Completely enjoying this "challenge"... thanks for taking the time to host. Your post is very encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am in tears!!! When I read this:
"I wanted to tell you that one of the most amazing gifts you can give your family is the assurance of your salvation. If you haven’t told them your salvation story and how you came to Christ, and that you know you will be at home with Jesus in Heaven when you die, will you do that this week? That is one of the greatest gifts you can give your family! Let them how they can find you after you die. That is a comfort and a gift that is immeasurable."
It brought out emotion in me that has been sitting there for a long time! I JUST (about 2 seconds ago) emailed you.... it was about a layout I created for Haley. Girl, if you haven't read it yet, you have to! :) It is about a layout where she will find me! I didn't even read this post... until now.
Isn't that amazing? I love how the Lord works and connects things...
Blessings, dear friend.
Your page is gorgeous, btw!
Chelsea

Gwen said...

This is a great study! What hope and amazing things we have to look forward to as citizens of God's Heavenly kingdom! I've had the words to "I'll Fly Away" running through my head since you posted this study!

D's Paper Studio said...

My email account is messed up so I've gotten behind as I depend on the RSS feed. I'm sign up again via another email account. in the meantime I'm doing a lot of studing this week! I've completed Home. This was great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails