Sunday, March 13, 2011

ABC Scripture Challenge {Word #6}, Forget

As I prepared to lead Leaders Meeting at Bible Study Fellowship this past Monday, I talked to the leaders about God never forgetting us. Then later, I sat down to work on our word for today. I knew we were on the letter ‘f’ but I had no idea what word God wanted me to write about. Then He reminded me “Didn’t you just talk about ‘forget’ this week?” I cracked up! He won’t forget me but I had already forgotten what He had me share at leaders meeting. So, as led by God, our focus today will be on ‘forget.’

Challenge Word #6: Forget

Have you ever heard of someone tying a string around their finger so that they wouldn’t forget something? Or maybe you put everything into your smart phone so that you don’t forget things. Maybe you are going through a struggle right now and you feel like everyone has forgotten you including God. Maybe you feel like the Israelites in Isaiah 49:14 that said “But Zion said, ‘The LORD has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.’” God has not forgotten you! His response to the Israelites in Isaiah 49:15-16a is just beautiful—“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands . . .” He hasn’t forgotten you, and He won’t forget you in the future.

Engraved means to “cut into.” So, our names are forever written on His hands. Our names will not wash off; they are forever there in front of Him on His hands! He is ever mindful of you and of me! His compassion and love for us far exceeds that of even the most loving parent. Matthew Henry said this about the engraving on His hands—“Some apply His engraving His church on the palms of His hands as to the wounds in Christ’s hands when He was crucified; He will look on the marks of them and remember those for whom He suffered and died.” Oh, I just love that thought!

When we are weak in our faith or see tragedies such as what has happened in Japan, it is easy to think that God has forgotten us. But, we must remember that God is the great promise keeper. If He says “I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands,” we can trust that is true. He will not forget you! God does not lie or break a promise thus we can trust this is true. Hebrews 6:13-18 says “When God made His promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for Him to swear by, He swore by himself, saying, ‘I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.’ And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised. People swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of His purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, He confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged.” How comforting it is to know that others may forget us but God never, ever will!

I do not have a page yet to share with you today but there is good reason. :) I TOTALLY forgot to buy the ODBD set called "God's Hands," and I really want to use it for my page. Not only is the hand image perfect but the scripture I want to use is there also. So, I will share my page once my set arrives! See, another perfect example--I forgot but praise God He doesn't forget me! Be sure to check this post in a week or so to see my page. :)

As you share your pages, please be sure to use Keyword ABCSCRC11 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of our previous lessons, please visit this post here, and I pray that this week you will remember that He not only loves you immensly but He will never forget you! Be blessed, and thank you for joining me in this study!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [13 Mar 11:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Nancy said...

Thank you so much Patter! I hope you're having a really happy week!...Nancy :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails