Friday, June 3, 2011

Organizational {Friday} Dimensional Flowers and Leaves


Remember when storing flowers was as easy as putting them in a spice rack? I still have many of mine that way. You can see that organizational post here.  Anyway, now there are leaves to store, many dimensional flowers, etc. How do we begin to store them all?  This is the challenge I have now gotten into as I got a bunch of gorgeous flowers from Wild Orchid Crafts and some Prima clearance flowers from a store going out of business.


Using Drawers
Personally, I love to keep as many things in my Scrap 'n Cube drawers a possible. So for me, this is how it has worked best for store these new dimensional flowers and leaves. You may personally own a drawer unit that this would work for you too. I did use a dowel that I cut to help separate the leaves from the flowers. I also try to keep "like color" flowers together. You can see my drawers here:



For now I am keeping the Prima dimensional flowers in the back of the second drawer in their original packaging. I may change that but for now it is working great. I did have to move some other things around in my room to be able to keep my flowers in my Scrap 'n Cube as I did not have any drawers left; however, I am very pleased with my bit of reorganization. :)

I keep my Zva Creative dimensional flowers in the antique unit my parent's purchased for me last year. I did not want to move these flowers as they work SO well in these drawers!


SnapWare
For those of you that do not have a drawer to put your flowers in, another option would of course be SnapWare. You could certainly separate your flowers by colors and keep them organized in the trays that way. I put my flowers in some SnapWare to show you how it could work. This would certainly be a great option too and very portable!



I really do not think a spice rack would work very well for dimensional flowers because they are too large and some have long wire stems. The flowers could also get crushed, and you would need a lot of jars to keep the flowers nice. That's just my thought anyway and why I did not explore that storage option. :)

I hope this has been helpful. Be sure to share any ideas you have for dimensional flowers and leaves in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by, and have a blessed weekend!
Photobucket

7 comments:

D's Paper Studio said...

Hi Patter! It's been awhile since I've left a comment. I get your feed through my email account and enjoy your blog through that. I love your flower drawers. Of course the antique drawers caught my eye and started the wheels turning. Have a wonderful weekend friend.

Vanessa said...

Those are some great ideas! I love your antique drawers. Those flowers fit perfectly in there.

Mary Jo said...

Great ideas!! :)

Blessed Ladybug said...

very nicely done/. thanks for sharing thank for the post on my blog.. Stay Blessed have a Blessed day... I'm in the process of organizing also... seems like and ongoing process....

AlpacaRose said...

I agree about the spice jars - plus there's a limit to the space to set the spice units. My flowers are currently in my grandmother's antique sewing basket - pretty, but doesn't protect from the New Mexico dust.

Traci S. said...

Hi Patter~

I only wish that I had so many flowers to organize! I think it would be beautiful to take the spice rack bottles and soak the labels off. Find an empty shelf for the bottles. And, for the flower that have the metal wire stems...use the bottles for vases! It would look beautiful in your wonderful room.

I keep all of my flowers in 2 very large (3 feet) plastic drawers. They have different tins to keep the different flowers in them. I also put one of each style flower on my copier, and copy it...cut the flowers into rough shapes...and tape them on the top of the container in the drawer. It saves oodles of time--no need to peek into containers to see what stlye of flower is in there. I also take strips of white paper, and label the needed info on this strip, and take the closest matching pen/marker/pencil and draw a scratch of it...so I know what colors should be in there. It works for me. I also have an envelope with old rub-ons and stickers of flowers. Sometimes they are extra nice to put near the address label or on the back of the envelope...or scrapbooking!

Just a few small ideas that work for me. Your idea is wonderful. I love how you are using the cabinet with the drawers your parents gave you last year. It is perfect for it!

He IS Able,
Traci S.

Elaine M said...

Thanks so much for all your wonderful ideas! My flowers will be in a new home soon I think. Would it be possible to get the link to your ribbon storage again???
thanks for so much inspiration - hugs and blessings

Related Posts with Thumbnails