Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday's {Tip} Mod Podge & Gesso

So, have you ever used Gesso?  How about Mod Podge? I had to buy some Gesso for a class I am currently taking. There are two great sites with Gesso information. Mel Stampz has a lot of great information and here is an older post on the Maya Road DT blog showing how to use it on chipboard.

Also, most of us have used Mod Podge at some point in our crafting careers, and I don't know about you but the bottle can be a pain to work with sometimes not to mention the lid gets glued shut on occasion. Well, in my art journaling class, Christy Tomlinson recommends putting your Gesso and your Mod Podge into separate jars. That way you don't have the huge bottles to work with. Christy uses plastic jars; I chose glass. Also, I no longer use the Mod Podge brand but have switched to Collage Pauge.  Love it!

Here you can see the little glass jars I am using. I don't put a lot into them; just the bit I will need for a week or so. I also labeled the top of each jar to make it easy to see and grab the one I need. I purchased the jars from Hobby Lobby for about $1.97 each.


You could also use recycled make-up jars or anything else you have on hand. Here are my favorite plastic jars I reuse:

You want to choose something with a wide mouth so it's easy to use. These little jars would also be perfect. If my glass jars don't work over time, I may try these. I don't have anything to lose. :)

Reminder: I also wanted to remind you that our new ODBD stamp & scrapbook challenge is posted this morning for June! We have posted a great sketch to use for the challenge this month! I hope you will join us! Who doesn't want to win free ODBD stamps! :) 

Have a blessed day, and thanks for stopping by!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Noel said...

Great information and nice tip but I have to ask why have you changed from Mod Podge to Collage Pauge and where can you find it?
I've used MP but am curious about the CP. TFS Noel

Erin Bassett said...

Hey Patter...I have a tip for you! You can rub Vaseline around the rim of your gesso, gel medium, or whatever containers to make them easier to open & less likely to glue themselves shut.

Related Posts with Thumbnails