Friday, November 16, 2012

Organizational {Friday} Embossing Folder Swatches

Well, after 2 1/2 years of keeping my embossing folder swatches in a binder, I finally decided it was time for a makeover. If you missed my post and original swatch binder, please click here. That method may still work great for some of you but it is no longer working for me. Here is what my swatch binder looked like:


Why isn't it working you might ask? Well, first, the sanding of each swatch was beginning to take a toll on me. Sanding is kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard to me so this wasn't my favorite thing to do. And because I didn't enjoy the sanding, I then had many folders that had not been added to the binder, and I wasn't able to keep track of them. And lastly, it was impossible to keep them in alphabetical order because they had been adhered to each page. Being out of order was driving me nuts! So, let's look at my new solution.

The New Solution
Some of you may remember this cute card holder I purchased from Hobby Lobby. I am keeping prayer requests on library cards in this box. Well, I purchased another box, and I have decided to use this for my embossing folder swatches and a few other things (I will share that in a couple of weeks).


Anyway, what I did was first cut 120lb. cardstock into 3"x5" cards. I didn't want to use 3"x5" cards because they are way too flimsy. I needed something heavy for the embossing. Once I cut the cards, I then began embossing each card with my embossing folders. I let a small bit of the card hang out of the bottom so that I could have a clean edge to write the folder name and manufacturer.



I then put them in alphabetical order to store in my card holder. This makes it so easy to find what I want to use, to add new folders, and to keep them in alphabetical order. And the big plus:  no sanding! Here is how they look in the card holder:


Pin It




I created the dividers using Memory Box Pixie paper and the Memory Box Blank Ticket stamp. You can see more information here.

Note: If you cut 3x5 cardstock like I did, you will be left with two 2 1/2" x 5" pieces for every 8 1/2" x 11" sheet you use. Save those pieces. I will show you what I did with those next week. I didn't want anything to go to waste. :)

Other Ideas
What if you don't find this cute file box at Hobby Lobby? Or maybe you just don't want to buy something else. How about turning the 3x5 cards and embossing them horizontally and putting them in a recipe box or other 3"x5" storage box? I am sure many of you have a 3"x5" box laying around! Here is how they would look horizontal instead of vertical like mine:


I think this would be a great way to store them too! So find a box, and have fun organizing! Feel free to ask questions if you have them. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings,
Photobucket

7 comments:

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

What a great idea. I like the alphabetical arrangement better too. Hope you & your's are all well.

TLady said...

SO ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK you're going to NEED ANOTHER box for your embossing folders!!!! :)

Sandy C. said...

Love it. Great idea for prayer request. I will have to use that one. Sandy C.

Blessed Ladybug said...

that is so funny i brought mine to work with me to think of a way to get more organzied as i am with you when you did the binder.. so the ideas are great but i have put my folders in a wooden cd box... but looking at the last picture onyou blog it might be a good idea to impress all the folder and hold then together with a 1inch ring.. that way i can add while i purchase more... but thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas and the video on the bow.. love it.. thanks

Elizabeth said...

Hi again!
I'm so excited I found you! I saw your Project Life trays on Scrapbook.com while browsing ideas for my scrapping room makeover.
Love this!! I have several vintage file boxes I got from my father-in-law. Couldn't part with them. Now they have a purpose!!
Thanks again!

Ruby said...

Your embossed folders are very beautiful! I agree that arranging them alphabetically would greatly help in keeping these organized and finding things easier when you need them.

Ruby Badcoe

Related Posts with Thumbnails