Sunday, October 22, 2017

Glory {Art} 2017 Scripture Challenge #10, Relationship

The Study
Have you ever wondered why you are here on this earth? Why did God put you here? He has created each of us to be in relationship with Him and to glorify Him. We were created by Him for Him. To see my older study on 'Glory', click here. And to see an even older study on 'purpose', click here

Colossians 1:16 "For in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him."

Let's look at the definition of relationship—the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected.

How do we stay connected to the Lord? By reading His Word, being in fellowship with the body of Christ, serving Him, etc. The most important relationship we can have is with Him!

Proverbs 23:26 "My son, give Me your heart and let your eyes delight in My ways."

Mark 12:30 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."

When we have that relationship with Him and experience His unending love, we can then share that in our relationships with others. We are to touch lives on this earth. Your possessions don't matter. Will people remember what the inside of your house looked like, what you had or didn't have? No. The lives you touch on this earth is what people will remember about you. Are you spending time creating and maintaining relationships? Are you spending meaningful time with your husband, kids, and/or family? Or are you too busy doing 'stuff' that you don't have quality time for relationships? I read the following and really liked it but there wasn't an author attached to it. Here is what I found—

"The quality of your relationship with God will directly affect the quality of all your relationships with people. Although life is short, the rewards of loving God, and of letting His love flow through you to other people has infinite benefits that will keep on blessing you, now and forever."

So, if we are created to be in relationship with Him and glorify Him, how can we share Him with others and give Him the glory if we are not in relationship with other people? Listen to this amazing song by Steven Curtis Chapman while you read the lyrics below.


I Will Be Here by Steven Curtis Chapman
Tomorrow morning if you wake up, 
And the sun does not appear 
I, I will be here 
If in the dark we lose sight of love, 
Hold my hand, and have no fear 
Cause I, I will be here 

I will be here when you feel like being quiet 
When you need to speak your mind, 
I will listen and 
I will be here when the laughter turns to cryin' 
Through the winning, losing and tryin' 
We'll be together 'cause I will be here 

Tomorrow morning if you wake up, 
And the future is unclear 
I, I will be here 
As sure as seasons are made for change,
Our lifetime's are made for years 
So, I I will be here 

I will be here and you can cry on my shoulder, 
When the mirror tells us we're older, 
I will hold you and 
I will be here to watch you grow in beauty 
And tell you all the things you are to me 
I will be here 

I will be true to the promise I have made 
To you and to the One who gave you to me 
I, I will be here
And just as sure as seasons are made for change 
Our lifetime's are made for years 
So, I, I will be here we'll be together 
I will be here

To whom can you say "I will be here?" Do you want you and your husband to remember each other when the kids move out? Absolutely! Spend time on that relationship. Do you want your children there for you when you are older? Most certainly. But if we don't pour out into our relationships, will they want to pour out to us later? Did we maintain a relationship with them or did we let it go or get too busy? 

One small example of what we have done is that we have had family time at 7 pm for probably 21 years! Even though our girls are gone for the most part, we still have family prayer time at 7:45 pm every night for those that can attend. Sometimes it's two of us on the phone, and sometimes it's all five of us. We are trying to do what really matters. 

Have I lost relationships with some people? Yes as I am sure you have too. Did I try? Absolutely, but they did not reciprocate. After years of trying to maintain that relationship, I finally stopped. I was reaching out yet they didn't respond. I realized maybe that was not a relationship that should be continued or restored. God has put other relationships in my path that need to be nutured. Relationships are difficult to maintain when there isn't a connection or a nuturing of the relationship by both people. How would my relationship with the Lord look if I only sat down with Him once a year? Definitely not good. He is always waiting but am I doing my part to maintain the relationship? That's the same with people. Stay in contact. Nuture those relationships. Do what's important. Send that card, make that phone call, text a prayer, meet for lunch. It doesn't have to be hours of work each day. The little things count. Share the love of Christ instead of focusing on what's in it for you. Maintain those relationships, and they hopefully will see God in you and be drawn to their own relationship with Him.

Genesis 2:18 "The Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.'"

Proverbs 18:24 "One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."

John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."

I love what the Life Application Bible says about John 15:13—

"We are to love each other as Jesus loved us, and He loved us enough to give His life for us. We may not have to die for someone, but there are other ways to practice sacrificial love: listening, helping, encouraging, giving. Think of someone in particular who needs this kind of love today. Give all the love you can, and then try to give a little more."

And the Romans verse below is a great formula for successful relationships—

Romans 12:9-10 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves."

Ephesians 4:2-3 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."

Hebrews 10:24-25 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Journaling Prompts
  • How has your relationship with the Lord grown during this year?
  • Share a relationship that is special to you and how is the relationship nutured?
  • What relationship needs to be nutured that may be falling by the wayside? How will you do that?
  • How has someone shown you the love of Christ in a relationship, and how did it make you feel?
  • Where will you step out of your comfort zone in a relationship and watch God work?
The Art
I created another journaling page for today. I have been called to a new relationship that I was a bit nervous about but now I am excited to see what God will do!



Thanks for joining me today. Feel free to join us on the Facebook page where some people will be sharing their creations. To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. And may you be blessed as you nuture the relationships in your life. Blessings,

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Patter, I have sent a request to join your Facebook group. I did not realise you had one for the scripture challenges. My facebook account is just: Anne Marie

God Bless

Anne-Marie said...

Patter, I am hoping that is only because you are away from home that you have not approved my joining the Facebook group. God Bless, Anne-Marie

Patter Cross said...

Anne-Marie, yes, I have not been on Facebook but for a few minues at a time here and there. I have been swamped and have not approved any requests until this afternoon. Lots going on here, and I hope you understand. I did just approve your request. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails