Sunday, April 13, 2008

Scripture Challenge {Week 15}

Week 15 Challenge Word: Joy

Where does your joy come from? Does it come from wealth, cars, food, “things,” etc.? Or are you waiting on someone else to fill you with joy? People are constantly searching for things to make them happy; however, we are not made for what the world defines as being happy or joyful. We are blessed by being full of joy which only comes from Him through His Holy Spirit.

Let’s look at what joy is. Joy is more than happiness. Joy is a confidence in the truths of God despite your circumstances. Joy is sacred and cannot be stolen but it can be contagious. Focusing on Jesus in our everyday life and everyday circumstances brings us great joy. Max Lucado states in his devotional Bible that “Sacred delight (joy) is good news coming through the back door of your heart. It’s having God as your pinch-hitter, your lawyer, your dad, your biggest fan, and your best friend. God is on your side, in your heart, out in front, and protecting your back.” What a great God we have!

And think of when you pray for others. Does it bring you joy? Look at what Paul says in his letter to the Philippians. He writes in Philippians 1:4 “In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy.” What a great way to pray: with joy! And look at 1 Thessalonians 2:20 “Indeed, you are our glory and joy.” Oooh, yes, He is my joy! How about you?

I chose 21 amazing verses this week but of course, I couldn’t get them all on my card. Thank goodness for my journal. Anyway, the three verses I put on my card are:

Psalm 92:46I sing for joy at the works of your hands."
1 Thessalonians 2:20Indeed, you are our glory and joy!”
Psalm 66:1Shout with joy to God, all the earth!”

And I used the awesome April kit again from Create My Keepsake. Don't these colors just shout "joy"?
Can you think of something from this past week that brought you great joy even if it was a difficult situation? Try to look for the joy each day even when things seem bleak. Maybe keep a “joy” journal, and record those joyful moments (no matter how big or small) each day! And I hope you will join us in our discussions at Create My Keepsake, The Scrapping Spot, Scrapjazz, and Faith Sisters. Have a joy-filled week everyone!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Joy! Now that's a word to ponder. So often we get hung up on the negatives in our lives that we forget all that we have in Christ. Great reminder. Love the colors on your card.

Anonymous said...

Again, what a wonderful word to study! I just actually got done reading Psalm 66 tonight right before I checked your blog! How cool is that! I loved it! I was filled with joy after reading from my Bible! It is so wonderful! Your card looks great! I love the colors and love how you used those tickets on the back!
~Chelsea

Juliana said...

The Max Lucado quote is a very apt description! I need to check out this challenge.

Just a Simple Gal - Judy in Huntsville - AL said...

Thank you once again for committing to this project for the entire year! I love the cards that you share with us each week! I usually take the word and look it up in the back of three different Bibles, write the verses in a spiro-notebook and then pick my favorites for the cards [roladex, for me.] I'm really enjoying the Bible Study part of it and having my notebook filled with verses! But I'm really writing to say - I'M CAUGHT UP!! So happy! And looking forward to next week's word!

Related Posts with Thumbnails