Sunday, July 20, 2008

Scripture Challenge {Week 29}

Week 29 Challenge Word: {God’s} Word

The Bible is God’s true Word.” That is what we tell the two to six year olds in Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). We let them put their precious little fingers on the verse we memorize each week. We let them see us read from His Word. These precious children need to know that we are not making up the things we say. They need to know that what God says is true. Do you know that His Word is true? Do your children?

How many Bibles do you own in your home? How often do you look at them? Are they collecting dust? We need to know God’s Word for ourselves. We need to have a Biblical view instead of a world view. And we need to apply His Word and truths to our life everyday. God’s Word is His love letter to us. It is the unique book of many books; a coherent narrative; a self-communication of God. The Bible continually communicates the sovereign grace of one God. It is God’s revelation of Himself to us so we can know Him. If we don’t know the Bible or the power of God, it can lead to faulty thinking and wrong behavior.

What happens when you encounter a passage that you have read many, many times? Do you skim over it and say “Yeah, I know that passage. I have read it a hundred times before.” Well, our BSF leader shared something with us last September. She recommended that when you encounter a familiar passage, pray first. Ask God to make it new to you. He will, and our understanding of His Word will expand. I did that so many times this year as we studied Matthew. I have read Matthew many times; it is all so familiar. But my goodness, the difference it made when I prayed and asked Him to make it new to me. Try it! It is amazing!

What happens when you read His Word and encounter something you don’t like? How do you respond? Pray and ask Him to align your thinking with His. He will give you right thinking!

Who sees you when you study His Word? Do your children? Your husband? Maybe others living in your home? You have a huge influence on the people in your home. Make sure when you close that Bible and you get up from that chair that your attitude matches the Book you just read. If others are watching and you get up grumbling about the things that you have to do and how behind you are, how will they come to revere His Word? We need to have a regular time that we read His Word and study it for ourselves. Your faith will be strengthened, and you will feel more confident sharing His truths in everyday conversations. Try it. Step out there!

This week, I used a bunch of scraps for my card. I also used a fun Close to My Heart stamp that I haven’t used in a long time. It is a picture of the Bible. I thought it was just perfect.
The verses I chose were:
Isaiah 40:8a “. . .the Word of our God stands forever.”
Psalm 33:4aFor the Word of the Lord is right and true . . .”
Proverbs 30:5Every Word of God is flawless.”
John 17:17b “. . .your Word is truth.”

Please join us at Create My Keepsake, The Scrapping Spot, Scrapjazz, and Faith Sisters for discussions and links to your cards and pages. So, have fun studying His amazing Word this week. Enjoy it; grow in His truths.

4 comments:

Ally's Corner said...

Wow, love the picture of the bible. I have decided to start the scripture challenge; I'm going to the dollar store to get flash cards.
Also, DH and I are in a bible class this summer “Living by the book by Howard Hendricks “ Just want you said in your post is what we are learning in the class.

Stephanie said...

Wow! What a great reminder and so important. God's Word needs to be our focus and we need to allow it to change us. My dh just preached this morning how we need to get back to God and His Word being at the center of all we do. Beautiful card too -- love the stamp!

Anonymous said...

Patter, I can't tell you enough how much you touch me. It is amazing what God is doing through you. Thank you so much. Beautiful ATC and wonderful verses.
~Chelsea

Janice N said...

I finished my layout for this week's word

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/10hkemv.jpg[/IMG]

Related Posts with Thumbnails