Friday, November 25, 2011

Announcing {Hymn & Scripture Challenge} for 2012


Since we do not have a post for this weekend, I wanted to share where the Lord has led me for 2012. Some of you have asked, and I know I certainly have been asking the Lord too. And just as last year, He wasn't clearly calling me to stop these challenges, so I will continue on. They are a blessing to me, and I certainly pray they have been for you too! One thing He has showed me recently is how many truths are in old hymns. I love old hymns, and I am always singing a hymn. How about you? Have you seen God's truths in hymns?

This year I will be using a book called "Then Sings My Soul" to find the hymns we will use. I will also use my hymnal but this particular book has information on the author of the hymn and background on the writing of the hymn.

There is also a scripture reference for each hymn. I will then use the scripture reference to prepare a study over the scripture and truths from the hymn. Our study will always be taken back to the Bible.

There are several different versions of this book, and each book contains different hymns. I have 3 of these books. You can search on "Then Sings My Soul" on amazon.com, and all of the versions should come up. I have seen many used editions going for $1.39-$3.59. You by no means need one of these books for the study. The Bible is the only thing you need. I will be posting parts of each hymn too in each study. At some point in the study, I may be "RAKing" a book or two. :) Be on the lookout! I also hope many of you will continue this year and that many more will join in too! Now let's look at the details.

Album, ATC, Cards--What Will You Use?
So, what will you use for your album this year? What have you used in the past? Maybe you are new to these challenges and would like some ideas. Here is what I have used in all of the past challenges. Please feel free to click on the link (title) to each challenge to see that year's study.

2008 Scripture Challenge
*ATCs
2009 His Holy Name Challenge
*6x6 Pages in D-ring Album

2010 Scripture Challenge
*6x6 Pages on a Wooden Stand

2011 ABC Scripture Challenge
*5x6 Pages on 7Gypsies Photo Carousel

Of course, if you are doing pages, you can create any size and use any album you want! You can do hybrid or digi pages, or you can also create cards and mail to people. You can create anything you wish. These are just ideas!  I am not exactly sure yet what I will use for this 2012 study. I will post when I decide. :)

If You Participate, Do You Have to Create Something?
Absolutely not! :) You can just study God's Word and keep notes. You do not have to create a thing! I personally love the creating part and someday my kids can have these pages too as part of my faith legacy. For those of you not creating pages, etc., you may just want to keep a journal of each hymn and scripture along with your study notes.

What if You Want to Study with People at Church?
Wonderful! Please do have them study along. However, I ask that you not copy my work. I also ask that you have the participants print the study directly from my blog post each time. It takes me many, many hours to prepare these studies, and they are inspired by the Lord. The studies are copyrighted, and I pray that you respect that. Thank you! For more information, please see the section below titled "Will this challenge be hosted on other sites? What about posting on my own blog?"

Now let me share a bit about how this challenge will work.
**I will post a study every other Sunday beginning January 1, 2012. Mark your calendars, and see the entire 2012 calendar below! :)
**Challenges will be posted usually by 5 p.m. Central Standard Time on challenge Sundays.
**My post will also share some thoughts, the hymn, and scripture or scriptures that I chose (usually from the NIV), and a picture of my page.
**Then you will study your Bible and find scriptures that are meaningful to you based on the study and truth posted for that week.
**I love using Biblegateway to look up single keywords in the Bible. It is a great resource for this study.
**Then you will create your page using your selected scripture/thoughts based on the study for that week.
**Feel free to look at previous studies linked above to get an idea of how this Hymn and Scripture Challenge will work.
**For more information, also see the Scripture Challenge {Study Resources} post here. You may find it helpful.

Is there a time limit to complete the challenge?
No, there is not a time limit to complete the challenge. This is for you so that you can study and learn to apply God's truths to your daily life! You do what you can when you can. On occasion, I may offer RAKs, and at those times there will be a deadline. Watch out for those. :) You may join this challenge at ANY time throughout the year!

Do I need to sign up?
No, you can just subscribe to my blog to get the updates.

Will this challenge be hosted on other sites? What about posting on my own blog?
No, you will only be able to find the challenge here on my blog. Please do not copy the post to other websites or your own blog. You may certainly link the study but do not copy the study. Feel free to post a quote but not the entire study. Remember, this study is copyrighted. Thank you! And make sure you subscribe to my blog if you haven't already. :) If you have friends that you think may be interested in joining us, feel free to send them the link to this post! For more information, please see the section above titled "What if You Want to Study with People at Church?"

Where can we share our work?
A lot of us will be sharing on our blogs and in various galleries such as Splitcoaststampers, 2Peas, Scrapbook.com, etc. Wherever you share, you can use this keyword and it will help others find your work more easily--HSCRC12. I will also use inlinkz.com for this challenge so that you can leave a link to your work here on my blog for others to see.

Is there a blinkie for this challenge?
Yes, but let's call it a button instead of a blinkie. :) It's a miniature version of the picture at the beginning of this post. I did not make one that blinks. It is a "stand alone" button. You will find it in the sidebar of my blog and below this paragraph. Right-click and save it to your computer to add to your blog. I also ask that you link it back to this post or my blog. Feel free to add it to message board signatures too. I hope you like it.

2012 Hymn and Scripture Challenge Schedule:
Challenge 1: January 1
Challenge 2: January 15
Challenge 3: January 29
Challenge 4: February 12
Challenge 5: February 26
Challenge 6: March 11
Challenge 7: March 25
Challenge 8: April 8
Challenge 9: April 22
Challenge 10: May 6
Challenge 11: May 20
Challenge 12: June 3
Challenge 13: June 17
Challenge 14: July 1
Challenge 15: July 15
Challenge 16: July 29
Challenge 17: August 12
Challenge 18: August 26
Challenge 19: September 9
Challenge 20: September 23
Challenge 21: October 7
Challenge 22: October 21
Challenge 23: November 4
Challenge 24: November 18
Challenge 25: December 2
Challenge 26: December 16

To see all of the current challenges thus far for 2012, please click here.

Whew, sorry this post got so long. Book mark it. It will be the "main information page" for the Hymn and Scripture Challenge. Please e-mail me if you have more questions, and I would love to know your thoughts on this upcoming challenge. Feel free to leave comments here! Blessings, and see you January 1st with our first hymn and study!
Photobucket

19 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Patter, what a wonderful theme for next year. So often Scripture songs or hymns come to my mind with these challenges so what you are planning on doing for next year is great.

I am not sure how I will go sharing for the first two months as we will be travelling in our caravan and I will not have much internet access. Also with traveling I will continue doing mine digital - thinking of doing two pages each time ( matching papers and embellishments) - one with a scripture which will be done CD case size like this year and do an ATC size for the hymn - hymn one side and the info about the writer on the reverse.
I am so pleased you shared this early so I can prepare for what to take with me in the caravan.
Blessings to you.

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Yay, a hymn and scripture study. The old hymns are my all time favorites. I'm our church pianist and there are very few hymns I'm not familiar with. I'll be following this, very exciting. I think I have a version of the book you're using. Do you allow participants to use digital or hybrid pages? Hopefully!! Thanks Patter for your faithfulness to the Lord's calling. ~ Abby

Patter Cross said...

Anne-Marie, first I want to thank you for your faithfulness through the years to always participate. I truly appreciate you! And I know God loves you studying His Word like you do!

And Abby, most certainly you can do digi or hybrid pages. This is for you! Do whatever works best for you. I will update the post too so people can see that. And I may be asking you about hymns. LOL! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow! I love hymnody, words & music, and the Robert Morgan books I've read were wonderful (is that a new cover perhaps?). This sounds great for next year.

One of the things I LOVE about Christmas is that carols (aka "hymns") are played and sung in public so much---anyone who does not enjoy it, well maybe I do not care for the raunchy air pollution that is sometimes played in public at other times, so I appreciate this all the more.

Hoping you are headed thankfully toward December---"Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus"---Jennifer in OH

Kim said...

Patter,

LOVE this!! Thank you for continued inspiration!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Great, glad we can do digital/hybrid projects. I'm really excited about this and will be participating. Ask anything you want, I have tons of hymn resources. So happy. I pinned your button about this challenge. ~ Abby

Bridgitte said...

Hi. What a wonderful God we have! He always knows how to reach me!! I'm clicking through images at Pintest and come across one of your pins. I click follow and come across your blog. The first thing I see is your joy for studying His word in BSF!

You are the first blog I've come across that openly shares BSF. (I'm still a fairly new blogger and digital creator) Yet BSF, I'm very familiar with!

God is so good!!

I left Florida to come home to TN to be with my grown children and granddaughters. (I actually watch one during the week) I have missed my fellowship in Palm Beach with my sister and BSF! God knows my heart and He allows me to find your blogs!

I've been questioning my "blogging" and debating going back to my journal. I've prayed earnestly that my blog uplift others and that He speak through me as I share my personal journey with Multiple Sclerosis and chronic pain.
Your blog is the answer to my prayer!!! Praise Him!! Praise you for honoring Our Heavenly Father!!

Anonymous said...

I am going to try to participate and keep up. I will be making 8x8 digital pages, probably a double layout for each challenge. I work full time and past experience has shown that I struggle to keep up with online classes and challenges, but I am looking forward to this challenge.

I also attend BSF. This is my 5th year and I love it. I served in leadership for a little over a year, but had to step out in the beginning of what would have been my 2nd year in leadership due to treatment for breast cancer. But, I continued to attend my BSF class just not in leadership and praise God I am now cancer free!

Blessed Ladybug said...

I have checked out the 2012challenge and i'm in....HOORAY! just like the pass years i love your challenges, i've posted it on my blog with a link to your blog.. Thanks You so much for speading God's word.....I love your work and all that you pour into my life..Love you....

Blessed Ladybug said...

patter please tell me if it's ok for my to post on my blog as i see you have don't post on other webiste... please let me know.. and i have no problem with removing it....your link is there...thanks

Susan M said...

Thank you for another challenge next year. I have been so blessed by this years ABC Scripture Challenge. It's the first time I have done anything like this and think it is wonderful. I am a little behind with my pages but will catch up in the next few days. I hope you and your family had a lovely Thanksgiving , I am truly thankful for your blog and the work you do for the Lord.

Tonya W said...

I am looking forward to this challenge. I am behind (only 1/2 way through) this year's challenge but I am planning on getting them done before the year is out. I will be doing either 6 x 6 pages or 8 x 8 pages this year. Thank you so much for following and listening to God as you are a tremendous blessing to so many of us!

Nancy said...

Oh YAY, Patter!! This will be FABULOUS!! I think I've mentioned...a time or two...what a blessing these challenges have been for me! I've even used hymns now and again these past two years, so 2012 will be great fun and a WONDERFUL blessing! Thank you so much, Patter! I can't wait to get started! Now ending this year won't be sad at all!...Nancy :o)

Unknown said...

This sounds lovely! I had signed up to do your scripture challenge for 2011 but life got in the way, among other things, and I didn't get to do it. I really do want to complete this challenge this year so I will need accountability for sure! Thank you Patter, for being such a diligent sister in Christ.
Kathy

Unknown said...

I am totally excited about this new scripture challenge and fully expect it to bear fruit beyond measure. I think I'll do this in an 8 1/2" x 11" format because I haven't created that size in some time. I haven't tried adding music to my blog yet, but a visit to cyberhymnal.org or hymntime.com might be beneficial. Is the new year really less than two weeks away? May the Lord continue to bless you in this wonderful ministry you've entered.

Kathy said...

Thank you for this wonderful challenge. Anne-Marie led me to this site from a digital scrapbooking site we are both on. I'm looking forward to the scripture study. I think I will do this in 8x8 format and keep in its own photobook.

Sarah said...

Patter, I am so looking forward to participating in 2012. I am so glad that the theme will be hymns. I've found that putting scripture to music is one of the best ways for me to memorize. God bless! Hugs, Sarah

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I have been remiss in a lot of things, particularly my time with the Father. I do believe he directed me here so I am determined to start and COMPLETE this challenge. Thank you for doing this and may God Bless you.

JanCT said...

Patter, I plan to participate this year. I've been a "lurker" since last year! Thank you for all you do to prepare the studies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails