Sunday, February 26, 2012

{HSCRC12} Hymn #5, May the Mind of Christ My Savior

Hymn Challenge #5: May the Mind of Christ My Savior

Text Written by: Kate B. Wilkinson
b. August 27, 1859; d. December 28, 1928

Music Written by: A. Cyril Barham-Gould
b. 1891; d. 1953

Kate B. Wilkinson was born in England and was the daughter of a mechanical engineer. She married Fred­er­ick Bar­clay Wil­kin­son in 1891. She was a member of the Church of England, and she was involved in a ministry to girls in London. Not much else is known about Mrs. Wilkinson other than she wrote this hymn.

Little did I know on Monday morning of this past week that we would be singing this hymn at our 5 a.m. BSF Leader's Meeting. The words in this hymn are ones that I should live by every single day but I truly relied on them this week as we have dealt with an unknown heart issue with one of my daughters. God knew what was coming, and He comforted me with this hymn. We appreciate your prayers more than you know. Thank you! I asked my daughter on Thursday if she was scared, and she said "Mom, I am not even worried which is really weird." I laughed and said "That's because I have asked everyone to pray for your peace." She LOVED that! She is feelin' it! Thank you! Now back to the hymn. :)

I love how Mrs. Wilkinson based her hymn off of scripture. Let's look at each verse and some corresponding scriptures.

Verse 1

May the mind of Christ my Savior
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and pow'r controlling
All I do and say.

Scripture:
Philippians 2:5 "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."

Does your life show that you believe what you say? What impression do people have of Christ when they see you? People will remember your actions and how you live more than what you say.

Verse 2
May the Word of Christ dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph
Only through His pow'r.

Scripture:
Colossians 3:16-17 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Are you reading His word each day? Are you memorizing His word? One of my amazing blog readers, Jennifer, put it this way "Scripture memory is storing up pure gold that no one can ever steal away; it nourishes me now and every time I repeat, review, write out, say, hear, think, meditate on it." Thank you sweet Jennifer  'pure gold that no one can ever steal away'. Love that; such truth! Do you view His word that way?

Verse 3
May the peace of Christ my Savior
Rule my life in every thing,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.

Scripture: 
Colossians 3:15 "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

My daughter has experienced that peace this week. Even in our fears, jealousy, frustration, etc., we need to let His peace rule in our hearts and our lives. Are you doing that?

Verse 4
May the love of Jesus fill me,
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing,
This is victory.

Scripture:
Mark 12:30 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."

Romans 8:39 "neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

He loves us so much that He sent His precious Son, Jesus, to die for our sins. We should feel secure in all things because nothing can separate us from Him! Do you let His love rule in everything you do?

Verse 5
May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.

Scripture:
Psalm 61:3 "For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe."

God never leaves us. He is always there to strengthen us and protect us. He is our refuge but we must remember to keep our eyes on Him!

Verse 6
May His beauty rest upon me
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him.

Scripture:
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek Him in His temple."

Hebrews 12:1-2 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Is your greatest desire to seek Him only in all things or is there something else you are seeking? Let us fix our eyes on Jesus knowing that we can triumph through His power!

Below you will find the sheet music to "May the Mind of Christ My Savior." Make sure you look at the link I have included for you below the hymn.


Click here to listen to this hymn as well as read the words as the hymn is being sung.

And before I share my page, I found this amazing piece on the web. The author is unknown but I thought it was perfect and that y'all might enjoy it. I thought it went so well with letting His love and power control us in all we do and say. I am going to copy it into my quote journal:

"In the home Christ-likeness is kindness; 
In business it is honesty;
Toward the weak it is burden bearing;
Toward the sinner it is evangelism;
Toward ourselves it is self-control;
Toward God it is reverence, love and worship.

—Unknown"

For my 5x7 page today, I used 2 Thessalonians 3:5 from the ODBD set called Scripture Collection 5. This verse says "May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance." I also used Proverbs 30:5 which says "Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him." The Proverbs 30:5 verse is in the ODBD set called Scripture Collection 7. I thought both of these verses were so appropriate and fitting for the words of this hymn also.
Pin It

Papers: Webster's Pages Sunday Picnic and Everyday Poetry, Paper Trey Ink cs
Stamps: Our Daily Bread Designs Scripture Collection 5 (2 Thess. 3:5), Our Daily Bread Designs Scripture Collection 7 (Proverbs 30:5)
Stamp Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink fired brick
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Distress Stain antique linen, burlap from Save On Crafts, flower from Wild Orchid Crafts, sewing machine

I encourage you in the weeks ahead to use the verses of this hymn as weekly prayer points. Pray the scriptures too. God will continue to transform you as you grow in Him each day! Remember to use Keyword HSCRC12 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Blessings to each of you!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Patter, your page is awesome! Love the rich colors and the verses you used. This is a new song for me, I love the words. We will continue to pray for your daughter. Hugs

Gwen said...

Good to see you are still writing such great posts! I haven't been by in a long time but I wanted you to know that I am finishing the Scripture Challenge from 2010. I had left the last 4 undone and have saved the emails. Just wanted to let you know, come by if you want to see them! Two down, two to go! Thanks for being a blessing!
http://windchimesandlilacs.blogspot.com/2012/02/unity-heart-challenge.html

Mary said...

Patter, I love your work and am learning new scrapping techniques just by studying your pages. And the scripture information you provide is awesome. Please keep up the good work! You are challenging me on all fronts ;-) MaryE

Susan M said...

Such a beautiful page, the colours are wonderful here. Another great teaching, thank you!

Bohemian Brown Sugar said...

I just foud your blog this morning and have been truly blessed. I am going through a tough and trying season in my life, yet I know the Lord is bringing me through. I plan to participate in the challenges. You are truly a blessing.

Anne-Marie said...

Thank you Patter for your choice of Hymn as I do not remember ever sining this one but the words are so wonderful.
Thankyou for your devotional thoughts and your lovely piece of artwork.

The next one I may be late in doing as my husband and I are heading off for a well looked forward to holiday and will be close on hand to my daughter who is expecting her third child this month.

God Bless You

Salmi said...

Your card look like as a part of art work ,by the using of different colors in here make your card so nice.........
Plastic Card
Plastic Cards
Scratch Card Printing

Nancy said...

Your page is GORGEOUS, Patter! What a fantastic post this was! Thank you so very much! I can't tell you how much I love this old hymn! At first I thought I didn't know it...until I listed to the video and then I did know it! It all came back with sweet memories of my Dad again! Thanks for that! This is one we should be singing every day! It brings so many Scriptures to mind! :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails