I have this beautiful Bible that doesn't have a cover. I haven't carried it because it's too pretty. But with my failing, aging eyesight I decided I want to carry it exclusively now. It's a thinline Bible, and it's large print. Perfect!
So, how many times have your Bible pages been bent because your Bible is down in a bag or you are just carrying it without a cover? I know it has happened to me way too many times. With this Bible, I don't want that to happen but I also don't want a cover—I love the soft leather. So, I decided to create an elastic band to keep it closed while I am carrying it. This also adds a bit of fun to my Bible and keeps the pages from getting bent. Here is what I call my "Bible Band."
I used a piece of duck fabric that I purchased from Hobby Lobby, created the band, and added a Manor House Creations fabric flower to cover the seam where I brought the ends together. The flower adds a bit more pink to my Bible. Agh, just what it needed. :) Most of you know that pink is my favorite color. :)
To create the band:
- Wrap a tape measure around the height of your Bible (front and back) to get the length.
- Using that measurement, cut one piece of 1" wide non-roll elastic the same length. Set aside.
- Next, cut a piece of fabric that is double the measurement x 4" wide.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise with right sides together and sew together using a 5/8" seam.
- Turn right-side out and press.
- Thread the elastic through the opening.
- Bring ends together and wrap around the Bible to make sure the fit is as desired. Adjust if necessary and stitch together.
- Add a flower or other embellishment to cover the seam.
So, if you have a special Bible that doesn't have or need a cover, maybe a Bible Band is just what you need. Thanks for stopping by. Blessings,