Sunday, September 22, 2013

{HSCRC13} Hymn #17: Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

Hymn Challenge #17: Tell Me the Stories of Jesus
Words by: William H. Parker
b. March 4th, 1845; d. De­cem­ber 2, 1929

This hymn is not to be confused with the hymn titled "Tell Me the Story of Jesus" by Fanny J. Crosby. Today's hymn was written by William H. Parker. He was born in Not­ting­ham, Eng­land, and he also died there. He was the head of an insurance company and a member of the Chel­sea Street Bap­tist Church in Not­ting­ham. He wrote this hymn for his Sunday School students at his church.

Last week I was looking at Pinterest, and I kept seeing pins about church nurseries. I sat a moment and told the Lord how much I miss working in Children's Ministry. I was the Associate Director of Children's Ministry for many years. I thought "Lord, are you leading me back to what I love?" Then He reminded me of something our BSF teaching leader said during our first lecture. She told a story of her grandfather sharing his love for Jesus with her and that "She had faith before she could even read God's Word." Then as my daughter and I discussed lecture, I asked her what she liked best about what she had heard. She said "I loved her story about her grandfather sharing his faith and his friend Jesus with her because that was me too. I had faith before I could read." I cried right there. I find as my children have gotten older (yes, they are 19 now) that God is giving me glimpses of how they did hear and see what I was teaching them. It is such a huge blessing that I can't even begin to describe. Some of you know what I am talking about.

Have you ever just watched a child's face as they are being told a story? They are usually intense as they listen and take it all in. And if you have ever shared the stories of Jesus to a 3 year oldwow, it is just a blessing to watch them. I used to teach God's word to 3 year olds, and I loved every minute of it. It is so important that we teach God's word to the tiniest of children because they can understand long before they will be able to read. With that being said, we can begin teaching our children and grandchildren about Christ at any age! I had a lady ask me a couple of weeks ago if it was too late for her 15 year old daughter to come to BSF and hear God's word. Of course it's not too late. I didn't come to know Christ until I was 33when my girls were 3 1/2 years old! It's never too late to share! We even talked about that in our last Hymn Challenge "I Love to Tell the Story."


Have you thought about what God will do with the seeds you drop when sharing with your children, your grandchildren, children in Sunday School, etc.? God sees the potential in those children entrusted to you. He created them. How are you cooperating in their faith journey? Is Jesus the focal point of your life, and how do those children know that? Are you doing everything possible to help those children grow in their faith? If not, will you begin doing that today? Sit back and watch what He can do!  Now, here are the verses to this hymn:

1. Tell me the stories of Jesus I love to hear;
things I would ask him to tell me if he were here:
scenes by the wayside, tales of the sea,
stories of Jesus, tell them to me.

2. First let me hear how the children stood round his knee,
and I shall fancy his blessing resting on me;
words full of kindness, deeds full of grace,
all in the lovelight of Jesus' face.

3. Into the city I'd follow the children's band,
waving a branch of the palm tree high in my hand;
one of his heralds, yes, I would sing
loudest hosannas, "Jesus is King!"

We need to teach all about JesusHis birth, life, death, resurrection, ascension, and how He has promised to take us with Him to heaven someday. Will you begin doing that with a child in your life today? Here are a few scriptures for you to reference:

Deuteronomy 6:7 "Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."

Isaiah 40:30-31 "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Matthew 13:34 "Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; He did not say anything to them without using a parable."

Matthew 20:28 "Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

Mark 8:31 "He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that He must be killed and after three days rise again."

Mark 10:13-16 "People were bringing little children to Jesus for Him to place His hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, He was indignant. He said to them, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.' And He took the children in His arms, placed His hands on them and blessed them."

Mark 11:8-10 "Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted, 'Hosanna!' 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!' 'Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!' 'Hosanna in the highest heaven!'"

Acts 8:35 "Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus."

Below is the sheet music for today's hymn. And click here to listen to a version of this hymn.

For my 6x6 page today, I chose to use bright colors to help me think of sharing Jesus with children. The scripture I chose was Deuteronomy 6:7 from above. The green chipboard leaves are from the Blue Fern Studios set called Organic Vine. I misted the chipboard with water to curl and separate the leaves a little more. I then misted them with some mist from SEI which then made them look a bit like waving palm branches as Jesus entered Jerusalem.
Pin It

Papers: Stampington Journal Jump; Simple Stories Sn@p! Life 
Blue Fern Studios chipboard: Organic Vine (SEI Tumble Die grass green mist) 
Embellishments: Project Life Just Add Color card; Two Peas in a Bucket wood veneer frame; Solitaire Jeweltone flowers; A Flair for Buttons flair; May Arts twine; hand-dyed Hug Snug; sewing machine

Remember to use Keyword HSCRC13 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Have a blessed week ahead!

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Your artwork is lovely - I do like your choice of flowers.

Another lovely old hymn, thank you.

I will be trying to keep up with the challenges but may get behind as my husband and I are busy packing up our home to move. We will be living in a caravan for possibly at least 6 months so I will have limited internet but hope to continue as I do enjoy your scripture challenges.

God Bless

Related Posts with Thumbnails