Sunday, October 26, 2014

{SCRLLC14} Scripture Lesson #18, Strong Tower

As my daughter faces her upcoming back surgery, I thought we would look at this song this week"Strong Tower" by Kutless. Let's begin by looking at a few of the words.

Chorus
I go running to Your mountain
Where Your mercy sets me free
You are my strong tower, shelter over me
Beautiful and mighty everlasting King
You are my strong tower, fortress when I'm weak
Your name is true and holy
And Your face is all I see

In the middle of all my darkness
In the midst of all my fear
You're my refuge and my hope
When the storm of life is raging
And the thunders all I hear
You speak softly to my soul

To see the rest of the lyrics to this song, click here. And you can listen to this song here.

This song talks about God being our strong tower, our shelter, and our everlasting King. It makes me think of one of the prayers my daughter has requested for her surgery—"I would greatly appreciate prayers for My King to give me peace." She has asked for other prayers too for the surgeon, the staff, her recovery, etc., but I love how she knows where her refuge and her hope is during this storm in her life. She has even requested that she not be given any Versed (a medication to relax and feel sleepy before surgery) because she wants to be alert when we pray with her before they take her back to the OR. Would I be that strong? Would my fear overtake my desire to hold strong to the One who will be with me, who will comfort me, and give me peace? I pray I would be as strong as she is being.

Psalm 61:3 "For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe."

Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."

She is running to Him. She knows where she feels safe. I praise God for her amazing faith! So who do you run to when you are scared, uncertain, lost, etc.? My prayer is that you would run to Him for everything. He is always dependable, and He is always faithful.

Deuteronomy 32:4 "He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He."

Psalm 71:5 "For You have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth."

All of Psalm 71 talks of God's constant help through our entire lives. I encourage you to read it and study it this week. I love what the commentary in the Life Application Bible says "We realize He is our constant help. We must never despair, but keep on expecting His help no matter how severe our limitations. Hope in Him helps us to keep going."

Does your hope in Him keep you going? Oh, how I pray it does. If it doesn't, go to Him in prayer. Ask Him to give you His strength for whatever lies ahead.

Today I decided to create a Bible journaling page. My daughter loves the Psalm 71:5 verse so I wanted to document this into my Bible. We need to remember this difficult time in her life and how God has remained her hope.

I used my washi scraps to punch three hearts for this page. If you missed my washi scraps tutorial, click here. I always have lots of fun scraps to choose from and use. I also used a quote from Dr. Henrietta Mears that says "Faith puts God between us and circumstances." I felt it was perfect!


Remember to use Keyword SCRLLC14 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Have a blessed week ahead!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and yours, Patter. Lovely page! Jennifer in Ohio

Anne-Marie said...

Thank you for what you teach us with your thoughts on the songs. another song again, that I had never heard before.
Your artwork is always so inspiring.
Blessings to you and your family and all that you are going through.

Linda J said...

Prayers for your daughter's complete recovery as well as peace for your family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails