Friday, March 22, 2019

$8.50 Thrift Shopping Trip

Do you like thrift shopping? I have always loved antiques and antique stores but lately I find I prefer thrift shops because the prices are SO much better. A new thing that my girls and I love to do is visit new towns, find the local thrift stores, and also the best local ice cream. It truly is so much fun! Well, I spent this past week with one of our daughters because she was on Spring break from medical school, and she had several meetings and appointments. Between those appointments, the two of us went crazy visiting many shops and eating at at least three new ice cream stores. Yep, I definitely overindulged last week. It was a blast. So, today I wanted to share the great things that I got ALL for $8.50! Now to some of you, you are probably wondering what I will do with this stuff. So, I will explain as I note what's in each picture. 

The Haul

The Details
These three little cups and this plate will be great for paints. $1.50 for these four pieces really made me happy!

The Stretch & Sew patterns are really unique. I have never seen them before, and my mother hasn't either. She has been a seamstress since I was a little girl. The packets themselves are 8 1/2 x 11, and the patterns almost look like blueprints. And they are printed on heavy paper. You can see a part of a pattern behind the pink packet. I purchased four of these patterns for $2.


Here you can see the grammar book I purchased. It is in great condition, and I paid $1.00 for it.

The "move-in inspection" paper and piece of granite came from a really fun store in Durham, NC, called "The Scrap Exchange Thrift." The paper pad will be great for mixed media work, and the granite is just the perfect size to use as a weight. It measures 5"x7". I have some larger pieces of granite that I have been using but I love this smaller size. The total for these two pieces was $1.50!

Then some of the other items include a hymnal, several zippers, and another pattern. The zippers were $2 for the lot.

The hymnal is from the 1940s and the grammar book from 1928. The hymnal is a large-print book (it is underneath the zippers in the photo above). The inside page says "Several years ago, my vision became such that I began to use reading glasses, and soon it became difficult to read the daily newspaper. But worst of all, when I attended church, I couldn't read the hymns or responsive readings; and thereby was unable to join in the worship services, which always means so much to me. When I discovered books and magazines published in large type, I began to enjoy reading again. Then, the idea came to me--why not have the hymns printed in large type. I wrote our Church Board to have this done, but they responded in a negative way and did not see the need for it. Therefore, I decided to do it and thus this volume. If you have friends that would like to have a copy of the hymnal, please advise me. I hope you enjoy singing and participating in the services as a result of this effort." E.E. Stauber

I think that is SO neat. I have never seen such a hymnal, and I have not been able to find it on the web. I paid $0.50 for this wonderful hymnal!

So, if you haven't been thrift shopping, I highly encourage you to go. It's fun, and the treasures you can find are amazing! And it can be a fun time with family too! Have a blessed weekend!

3 comments:

Nancy M in NJ said...

Fun stuff! Seeing the sewing patterns brought back memories of my Mom, who sewed for my sister and I. I realized looking at the white plate you bought, we have them in green from my husbands' parents house, they were from a fondue set.

Connie Mercer said...

I haven't been junkin in a long time. Thanks for reminding me how fun it is :) great finds!!

Rose said...

oh i wish we had good thrift shops in my area! the stretch and sew patterns i remember :) they are made so you can trace the size you need and i loved them for my two boys clothes as i only had to buy one pattern :) enjoy your goodies!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails