Sunday, December 18, 2011

ABC Scripture Challenge {Word #26}, Zeal

Challenge Word #26: Zeal

Zeal: fervor for a person; enthusiastic diligence; intensity; passion

In the Bible, you will find a lot about God’s zeal but today I wanted to focus on our zeal for God. So, first, think about when you began this challenge. Maybe you began in January when we started this year. Maybe you began in 2008 with my first Scripture Challenge. What was your zeal for the Lord like when you began? Can you say it has increased today as we dive into our last word for this year? Or is your zeal for the Lord about the same as when you started these studies? Has your passion or eager desire to follow God increased? Do you have such zeal for Him that you are willing to protect His name? I know I pray that your answers to these questions are that your zeal for Him has increased and that you have a hunger and thirst to study and serve Him even more.

**Our zeal for the Lord should consume us, and we grieve when He is insulted.
Psalm 69:9 "For zeal for Your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult You fall on me."

**Our desire to glorify Him in all things should wear us out.
Psalm 119:139-140 "My zeal wears me out, for my enemies ignore your words. Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them."

**We need to know God and follow His will for us and not just step into the unknown.
Proverbs 19:2 "It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way."

**In any work we do, we need to do it with zeal and remember that as Christians, we are servants of the Lord.
Romans 12:11 "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."

**The Bible is God’s true word and all teachings must line up with His Word.
Galatians 4:17 "Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may be zealous for them."

**Zeal is good as long as it is for a good cause.
Galatians 4:18 "It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you."

So, what does your zeal for the Lord look like?

For my page today, I chose papers from October Afternoon. I loved the chair paper as it went so well with the Bible image from the Our Daily Bread Designs set called ‘The Word of God’. It makes me think of sitting down to study His Word to know Him more, to learn His will for me, to meditate on who He is, to know truth, etc. The scripture comes from the ODBD set called ‘Scripture Collection 3’. I wanted to add the Romans 12:11 verse from above as it was so perfect but I didn’t have room. Oh well. And before I forget, ODBD is having a huge sale (some sets 30% off). Look here for more information!


Papers: October Afternoon Farmhouse, Paper Trey Ink cs
Our Daily Bread Designs Stamps: Scripture Collection 3, The Word of God
Stamp Ink: Archival Ink jet black, Tim Holtz Distress Ink pumice stone and black soot
Embellishments: Thickers jewelry box, Prima flower, Sakura Koi watercolors, Spellbinders Labels 3, Tim Holtz Alterations scallops die and tiny attacher, Memory Box index card die, misc. baker's twine

Remember to use Keyword ABCSCRC11 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of our previous lessons, please visit this post here. And if you haven’t seen the information on my 2012 study, please be sure to look at my post here. I hope you will join us beginning January 1st, and I truly pray that you have enjoyed this year's ABC Scripture Challenge! Blessings to each of you and Merry Christmas!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Thankyou Patter for blessing my life so much with hosting these challenges. I do enjoy learning from the teaching you share and enjoy being inspired by your lovely artwork.

I look forward to taking part in next years exciting challenges as I do enjoy hymns and the stories behind them.

I was going travelling for the first two months of the year and may not have been able to take part fully but now those plans have all changed. Our caravan trip has been cancelled for now. My dear 87 year old mother is dying of inoperable liver cancer.

Patter, I do hope you and your loved ones have a safe and blessed Christmas time.

Nancy said...

Oh, Patter! I can't believe another year of your Scripture Challenge has ended! What a blessing it has been! I thank you very much for your diligence to the Lord in this ministry! Blessings to you! I can't wait to begin the next one...I have it all planned, I think! lol...Nancy :o)

Tonya W said...

Thank you so much Patter for being obedient to the Lord. I finally finished all my layouts at 10:55 on the 31st. I know that I did not keep up the way I should have, but thankfully I finished. Now my goal this year to actually memorize the verses in chose throughout the challenge! I am planning on doing the 2012 Hymn & Scripture challenge and my prayer is that I will be more diligent with this one. Again thank you for your willingness to share what God lays on your heart. May God bless you richly this year!!!!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Patter,

Stopping by for the first time from Donna's blog (HoliMess). Looking forward to perusing your past posts and getting to know you a bit. I have four daughters (identical twins in the middle).

Kindly, Lorraine

Related Posts with Thumbnails