Sunday, May 20, 2018

Glory {Art} Rewind 2018, Strength

As I thought about what we would study this month, several words came to me--weary, strength, and renew. It is a very busy season in our household (graduations, weddings, moves, etc.) so I guess that's why these words were on my heart. I started to select weary but that seemed negative. I am weary but I want to be positive. You also may be weary but together in our weariness, we can turn to the One that can strengthen us! So, today I will combine a few studies to look at being strengthened in Him. Let's get started!

The Study
To begin our study today, let's look at a song. This particular song is a new song to me; maybe it will be new for some of you too. It is called "His Strength is Perfect" by Steven Curtis Chapman and Jerry Salley. It was written in 1988 and has been published in some Baptist Hymnals since 2008. This song talks about assurance, security, confidence, rest, and shares some attributes of God. You can listen to the song by clicking here. The video is a live performance of Steven Curtis Chapman singing this song. The person filming this has trouble holding onto their camera; however, I really love this live performance. It is more incredible and touching to me to watch him sing it live. I hope it doesn't bother you too much; close your eyes and just listen. Here are the lyrics:

"I can do all things 
Through Christ who gives me strength 
But sometimes I wonder what He can do through me 
No great success to show 
No glory on my own
Yet in my weakness 
He is there to let me know 

Chorus 
His strength is perfect when our strength is gone 
 He'll carry us when we can't carry on 
Raised in His power, the weak become strong 
His strength is perfect, His strength is perfect 

We can only know 
The power that He holds 
When we truly see how deep our weakness goes 
His strength in us begins 
Where ours comes to an end 
He hears our humble cry and proves again 

Chorus repeat" 

I found this song by doing a search on the word 'peace'. I was looking for peace and strength particularly for my daughter as she had a spinal nerve root block. She is normally extremely anxious in these situations but instead as the day arrived, she was completely covered in His peace. So many people were praying for her. For me as an 'observer', I was in awe watching Him work in her. I know how she normally handles these things, and the only explanation for what I saw was that God was holding her hand, He was filling her with His peace, and giving her His strength. His strength is perfect!

1 Chronicles 16:11 "Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always."

Psalm 28:7 "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him."

Psalm 37:24 "Though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand.

Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all this through Him who gives me strength."

1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

Isaiah 40:29-31 says "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I love that passage! When we are weary, He gives us His strength, and He gives us His power. God is greater than our most impossible task. What are you facing this week, this month, this year? Turn to the Lord. He will strengthen you for anything you face now, tomorrow, and forever. So when you are faced with a trial, a difficult situation, a weak moment, etc., will you remember that His strength alone is perfect? Mark the above verses in your Bible, share them with someone that may need them this week, post them on the mirrors around your house because remember—His strength is perfect!

Have you seen how God has given you strength and helped you when you in the past? Maybe you are weary now. Maybe you need a little encouragement. Cry out to Him, and remember the times He was faithful in the past because He will be faithful again! Endure patiently in confident hope but be sure to slow down and listen for Him. He does not grow weary; He strengthens us. His Spirit carries us along. Praise God for His strength and unending patience!

Journaling

  • Share a time when you were weary and how God strengthened you.
  • Share a scripture that helps you when you are weary.

The Art
Today's art is done in my new journal that I created in Roben-Marie Smith's class. If you missed the information about this journal or class, click here. Anyway, I already had some paint on this page, and I had the painted circle laying on my art table so I chose to use that and used it for color inspiration too. I used Isaiah 40:29-31 from above but I could not fit then entire verse so I ended up just squeezing on what I could. 





Original Study Links
In 2011, we looked at 'weary'. You can read that short study by clicking here. And in 2014, I talked about 'His Strength'. Click here for that study.  I also did a short blog post on 'renew'. Click here to see that.

Feel free to join us on the Facebook page where some people will be sharing their creations. To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please click here. God is with you in a mighty way. Remember that, and rely on His strength to get you through whatever you must tackle today!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

What an appropriate study for this month! I also am in a weary season of life. We just moved my mother-in-law from our home to a long-term care facility because her care had become more than we could handle at home. There's also the normal work, church and family exhaustion. I love the song you shared. It brought a smile to my heart because Tim and I have sung it together many times in the last 25-30 years. I've recently started bullet journaling and I think I'm going to start incorporating your studies into it each month. I think that will help me keep up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails