Sunday, January 21, 2018

Glory {Art} Rewind 2018, Example

Welcome to our first study of 2018. I am so excited to have you here and look back at the older studies. Today we will be looking at a combination of two studies—one from 2010, and one from 2016. We will be looking at being an example and the impact we have on others. Let's get started!

The Study
Who has been that living faith example to you in your life? Have you been that to others, and are you that to your children or grandchildren? How about to those believers and unbelievers around you? Everyone one of us will leave some sort of impact. Have you ever thought about it? We leave an impact on people by what we do, what we say, how we live out our faith daily, and how we show love to others. What kind of example are you to your family? Your community? Your church? How about beyond that?

1 Timothy 4:12 "Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."

Our Daily Bread says this about 1 Timothy 4:12 "Paul’s words aren’t just for the young generation. All of us should be an example in word, conduct, love, faith, and purity. That’s how we make an impact for Christ. 'O Christians, remember, you bear His dear name, Your lives are for others to view; You’re living examples—men praise you or blame, and measure your Savior by you. —Anon.'"

Jesus Christ is our perfect example. Jesus knew how and when His life would end yet He continued to be that perfect example to us. Jesus says in John 13:15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” We need to build others up through loving instruction and by example. People, especially our children and grandchildren, watch what we do. They see how we act under stress. We are watched seven days a week; not just on Sundays, and we are watched by people that we don’t even realize are watching us. What do they see? Does your life match what you say? Do you wear a cross around your neck yet you grumble and complain all of the time? Do you gossip? Do you have a fish on your car yet you speed or have a fit of road rage? Our lives should point others to Christ by being that example He has called us to be. God’s Word is truth, and in His word we can find how we are to live and how we are to be living examples to those around us.

James 1:22-25Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

Yes, our lives are viewed by others, and people measure our precious Lord and Savior by what they see in us. What a privilege but also a huge responsibility that should not be taken lightly. Am I good living example? Oh I pray I am but I also know I falter. How about you? A quote from a historical fiction book by Darlene Franklin says: "Sometimes the only Bible people read is your life and a lot of people are watching and weighing your actions." Your actions will leave an impact good or bad. Think about that. Remember that. If you want to leave a godly impact on those around you including those you love, then you must follow Christ's example He sets for us in His Word.

1 Corinthians 11:1 "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."

1 John 3:18 "Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

1 Peter 2:21 "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps."

Did you see that in the verse above? We are an example, and by that example we make an impact. Again, what kind of impact are you making on those around you?  I know I want people to taste godliness when they see me and hear me. I want to make an impact on peoples lives that leaves them wanting to know more about Christ and to follow His example. Don't you?

Journaling

  • Who has been that living faith example to you in your life? How have they done that?
  • What kind of example are you for Christ? Is there an area you need to work on? 
  • How would you like your children or grandchildren to follow in your footsteps?
  • How has Jesus' example helped you in a situation?
The Art
I have not worked in my little art marks journal for quite some time. So today I am sharing a page that I created for today's study. If you would like to make your own journal, you can see my instructions by clicking here.

For the title, I used my favorite alpha stamps. I believe they are made by Prima. I know Ken Oliver makes them now in sizes small, medium, and large. The stamps on this page are the medium size. They are called 'clickable stamp'. Here you can see the stamp 'clicked' together before I stamped it onto my paper.

I reference the 1 Peter 2:21 verse below as I felt it was perfect for this topic today.

Original Study Links
To see the original 2010 study, click here. And to see the original 2016 study, click here.

I pray in your quiet time over the next two weeks that you will think about the example you are to those around you. Ask God to help you be the example He wants you to be. Trust Him; He will show you! Join us on our Facebook page, and remember to see all of our 2018 lessons, visit this post here. Joyfully in Jesus,

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Patter, what a great study to start the year with.
May you and your loved ones have a very blessed year 2018.

Related Posts with Thumbnails